Friday, July 14, 2006

Professional Conduct?

I found out recently that one of my Year 12 English students is going to another Year 12 English teacher's classes in her free periods. Humph. This raises a variety of issues I guess. Is this really professional conduct? What message is it sending to the students (mine and his) and what are the implications of a student being taught the same topic by two different teachers?

Is it unprofessional to allow a colleague's student into your class? I know that some people would not see it as an issue as long as the student attends the class they are supposed to be attending but I fear that it is not as simple as that. Personally I don't know how to feel. In a way it is totally undermining for me to have a student choose to attend another teacher's class as well as mine. I know that it is probably only because the student is listening to the hype that the other teacher surrounds themselves in, but nonetheless it hurts my pride to think that my teaching may not be good enough in her opinion. Perhaps I need to get a thicker skin, but the fact remains that as teachers, we can console ourselves with the fact that our classroom is our domain to a large extent and no student can really compare us to anyone else because they are not in the other class. In this case the student is being taught the same thing by the two of us and is able to compare how we are teaching and what we are saying. It doesn't sit well with me either because I know that the other class are further into the play than we are so she has already learnt the content and so she sits in my class disinterested.
I guess some of my issue comes down to my own insecurity. I don't like the thought that the student may have decided that she thinks the other teacher is better than me or knows more or teaches better. What message does this send to my students? That they will not do well in my class because I am not a good enough teacher? That they will only succeed if they have this one particular English teacher? What does it say to his class? That I am so crap that one of my students chooses to attend 5 extra classes a week so that they actually learn something? Despite the fact that none of this may be true, that is the perception that the students may have based on the fact that she is in both classes.

The question that I ask myself is this... how should I feel about this situation? I am annoyed that a) One of my students saw fit to ask another teacher if they could sit in on their class because that hurts my ego and that b) that teacher said yes and allowed her on numerous occasions to be in that class. I know that b) has nothing to do with me and is all about that other teacher's ego but it still makes me uncomfortable.
It also makes me question myself which isn't fair. I prepare fully for my senior classes, and although it is the first year that I have taught Year 12 English I think that I am doing a pretty good job. This just takes the shine off things a little bit.
Regardless, I will continue to do my thing and try to remain unaffected by the whole affair. It is out of my hands now anyway because other people know about it and are dealing with it. I will continue to refuse to give extra help to or answer questions from other people's student's because that is undermining and unfair and hopefully some time soon others will begin to do the same...

3 comments:

Nat said...

Darce, I wouldn't take it so personally. First of all, you can't please everyone, and you will burn yourself out trying to. No matter how good you are, there will always be someone who doesn't like you. You've just got to live with that. Secondly, how do you know this girl isn't just worried that she needs extra help (and remember, some of the most capable kids are paranoid that they're failing)? If she just thought you were a crap teacher, she wouldn't bother attending your class at all. Thirdly, don't kid yourself that the girl is sitting there comparing you with the other teacher anyway. OK, maybe she wants something from the other teacher that you're not providing, but I highly doubt she's sitting there with a little black book and keeping some sort of score for the two of you. Students just don't care or think about teachers that much. Fourthly, if she hasn't come to see you about the issue she's got, that reflects on her immaturity as a 17-year-old, not your capability as a teacher. Fifthly, you mentioned yourself that other students come to you for help. Doesn't that reflect the esteem they hold you in? I, who have nothing to base this on but your blog posts, have no doubt you are a brilliant teacher, and believe that most students recognise it too. Even if a few don't.

As for the other teacher's level of professionalism, it's just something you have no control over. Let the others who know about it and are dealing with it, deal with it. The very fact that they're dealing with it should tell you they are on your side.

Keep up the great work Darce! Just remember to keep things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you have told admin about this and that they are doing something about it. It is clearly completely unacceptable...the other teacher is being quite unprofessional and into the cheapest sort of self-gratification. Most places wouldn't dream of allowing this to happen. Imagine the shambles if all the kids started movcing around to suit themselves. If nothing comes of it from the admin- and I'd be really surprised if it doesn't- then tell this student that it's one or the other, not both- and crowbar her out!

Anonymous said...

wow c-star, just catching up on your blogs a bit.
this is ridiculously poor form on the part of 'him' -- and the sad part for him is that i can guess in a millisecond who he is. very sad, very disrespectful ... and in the long run, very bad for all of the students. inevitably leads to them all feeling unsettled and anxious -- just what they *don't* need in year 12.
bugger to hear about your allotment too - grrr! it sounds like you've had a pretty great year though, oh those lucky, lucky students and colleagues to have such an innovative teacher on board. yah for you! lxxx