Friday, August 27, 2010

Direction

Today we had a couple of researchers come out from Deakin to do a study on Innovation in schools. The principal nominated me as one of the people who would be interviewed for the study and it was actually a turning point for me in terms of how I am thinking about what we are doing at this school and how we are creating a culture and curriculum and teams and relationships. It is amazing the things you articulate when asked some interesting questions about leadership, curriculum, students, expectations, etc. I will post the transcript up here later (once I receive it) because I really want to record this point in time and how I am thinking and feeling about things and about what we are doing at this school. Here are some of the things I was thinking about:
What is it that creates a culture at a school?
What creates highly aspirational staff/students?
How does leadership impact on these things and create the feeling of autonomy and ownership and excitement?
Why am I loving my job despite the workload and why am I so energised by it?
What is it that is giving me that energy?

This conversation really got me thinking about my Masters next year. I have always wanted to do further study. The idea of academia appeals to me but I was thinking of doing a Masters in School Leadership which is entirely course work because I was thinking that maybe that would be a good way to get back in to the study. The problem is that although I am interested in Leadership I don't really think that is what drives me and so I have been worried that if I start a Masters I will not enjoy it and it will seem like a chore rather than an opportunity to really explore what I love about what I am doing. So I have been really undecided about what I should do and asking around for ideas because although I am interested in the idea of research, I haven't had a clear idea of what that would look like for me. What would I research? What am I interested enough in to sustain me for a few years?

Today's interview has really got me thinking. Deb was really good at synthesising the things I was saying to her and said that a lot of what I was talking about was exploring different elements of a teacher's identity and how I am operating in this environment in a whole lot of different ways. This idea interests me. I feel so passionately about this school and what we are doing here that I want in some way to explore that and unpack that and share the lessons we are learning with whoever wants to listen. The opportunities and the thinking and the creating that goes in to designing and building a school from the ground up are so involved and exciting and interesting that I think there is a whole lot to say.

So I think I still have a lot of thinking to go before I work out what it is that I want to do but I feel like this discussion has set me on the right path and got me thinking about the right things and stopped me thinking about a Masters in a way that is so theoretical and abstract and really thinking about what I am doing in my work life at the moment that I could be really examining and thinking about and sharing. I want to research something that interests me and I want the writing that I do to be more narrative than academic - readable, accessible and an interesting insight in to what is going on in schools where innovation is a mandate and a lifestyle not an option!
So much to think about. I think step one is to post more to here, thinking about what we are doing in the classroom and to really start filtering down what it is that I am really interested in exploring. I will also be contacting my university friends for advice and focus and my principal to work out what my options are here!
I feel even more excited about where I am at the moment than I already was. My whole experience this year has taught me that nothing is more exciting to me than the freedom and autonomy and creativity that I am afforded at this school. This is something I want to nurture even further.

No comments: