Thursday, February 24, 2011

Things I've been reading

Over the holidays and amidst my planning for next year, I did some professional reading. I am planning to start my Masters in Education this year, and I feel like in some ways I am emerging out of a vacuum that I placed myself in at my old school, and searching for new ideas, new pedagogies and a new way of thinking about education. I feel that I was stuck in a rut before, and that I had stopped learning and challenging myself to a large extent and part of my inspiration for getting back out there has been the learning networks I have found on twitter, and the blogs I have found because of them.
Finding Twitter and Fellow Bloggers changed the way I think
in a professional sense because suddenly I was in contact with people who were way more creative, engaging and challenging than I was and this has been inspiring me to do some higher order thinking. To this end, I have been collecting books that I have come across through blogs and I would like to share my thoughts on some of them as a way of synthesising the important messages for me within their pages.
The New Rules of Engagement - Michael McQueen


I heard about The New Rules of Engagement through twitter from @andrewdouch whose blog can be found here. I have been following Andrew for a while - I first heard about the work he was doing with podcasting in my early years of teaching and recently went to see him at a presentation at CSE which was engaging and illuminating and really got me thinking. So anything that Andrew recommends is interesting to me - his comment was that it was a really interesting book that he read in a day because it really sucked him in.

I have long been fascinated by the idea that we can profile a generation and make an fairly accurate assessment of the way they view the world and go about their work and life. I'm still not convinced we can, but in this book McQueen explores the generations, and the factors and experiences that formed the collective "identity" of each generation. Reading the description of Gen Y really resonated with me. This book would appeal to anyone who is interested in generation profiling or who wonders why it is that their parents or kids are the way that they. He also gives advice on dealing with the different generations in the workplace, particularly Gen Y which I found really interesting. This book had me wondering about the way I spend my free time and what I expect from education - and whether these expectations match up with those of my students, or even marry with what I am creating in my classroom. Certainly an easy, engaging read if you are interested.

Another book I read over the holidays is
Yong Zhao's Catching up or Leading the Way


I heard Yong Zhao speak at an Innovations and Excellence event and thought he was insightful, engaging and he challenged some of the ideas I had about education. Zhao questions the education reform based on data and test based performance as an indicator of learning, explaining the Chinese education system (which he experienced first hand) and comparing it with the American system his children are experiencing. He believes that the Chinese system has been creating students who can memorise information, and that due to the fact that it the Chinese system does not value individuality or creativity, the students are not successful in the global workforce, which is increasingly calling for innovative, creative and divergent thinkers. He believes that education systems that value the individual and that focus on building student's individual skills and tap in to their creativity will prepare students betterfor a future of global enterprise than schools that focus on a systematic "one-size-fits-all" model.
I feel that there is a real tension for me between the push for data-based practice and educating according to the system, and the push to differentiate and cater to personal differences and encourage every child to develop their own skills and attributes creatively. Many still focus on what is necessary for the exam at the end that will determine where the students end up. And will this content that we are teaching them actually give them the skills they need for the workforce, or is the focus merely on winning the competition? If a university education is the end point and we decide that the system is good enough because it gets them to university then what will happen as university degrees become increasingly redundant, as many suggest is already happening? I wonder if we will ever really do the students justice whilst we still have a system that is summative - that aims to reduce a student's knowledge to a single test result or assessment task. No matter how hard we work to convince the students that it is learning itself that matters, and the skills they accrue that will make the difference in the wide world, whilst the judgement at the end of 13 years of schooling is so reductive, will they ever be able to see the bigger picture? Will teachers?

Linked with these ideas is Daniel H Pink's A Whole New Mind
(pic from Amazon.com)
The subtitle of this book - Why Right-Brainers will rule the Future really sums up the essence of the book. Pink argues, with interesting anecdotes, that "The Conceptual Age" demands right brain creative thinking, rather than the left brain, systematic, logical thinking that was valued in the past and is what the education system is based on. Pink believes that the "Six (high concept, high touch) Senses" he discusses are senses which we all possess, but do not develop and encourage because they have not traditionally been valued, and offers ways that the reader can begin to redevelop and encourage these senses and therefore become more right-brained. My summary may be a little reductive, but I found the novel really interesting, and the sentiments being discussed by Pink are similar to those being discussed by others such as Ken Robinson in this summary of one of his speeches created by RSA:


Perhaps the things I have been reading and watching are all predominately focussed on the failures of the current education system - I would love it if people have books they would recommend that might balance out the scales, but I feel that at this point I am looking for a better way of doing things and wondering if education will ever catch up with the modern world. How do we know what is best for our students when we don't even know the types of jobs they will be doing out there in the workforce of the future? Is content obsolete and should we be testing skills? Or should we be testing at all?
Hopefully my masters, if I can work out what to focus in on, will help me gain perspective.
I would love other people's ideas, thoughts and opinions on this and other ideas of what to read. Let me know.

4 comments:

Linda McIver said...

Hey Darce,

This really resonates with me - especially the tension in VCE subjects between following the precise curriculum as it is laid out, and the need to differentiate to engage and extend our students. I don't think the present VCE system, as I understand it, leaves much room in 3/4 subjects for differentiation.


As I wrote recently, if you see the goal as getting everyone to the same place, then it's ok. But surely the goal should be about getting everyone as far as they can each go? Extending and challenging everyone to reach their highest potential?


I am seeing strong signs in my 7 year old of that fixed view of intelligence we talked about last year - it's really challenging trying to help her shift towards a more positive view of herself and her potential. And surely the exam-based system reinforces the fixed view??

Darce said...

Yeah I think you're right Linda - people always say there is no room in the curriculum at senior levels for anything more-surely it is about the skills, not the knowledge, because these days we can find the knowledge anywhere. It scares me that children are feeling the pressure earlier and earlier these days - I was reading something today that was talking about little kids suffering anxiety and panic attacks - and to what end?

widget said...

I completely agree with your statements about needing to explore new boundaries, ideas and ways of doing things. In recent times (since the beginning of this year) I have noticed that I am not happy with the way I do things BUT due to where I am and the traditions that are held, it is hard to change/challenging that thinking.

I have started looking at other blogs on line - technology in my area and the like, and it leads me to think about education and the process of learning in a different way.

I am also thinking of beginning my Masters. I have a big question (or two) that I wish to answer and am looking for the opportunity to have this as my catalyst for further reading.

I feel that I am the one who has to make those changes with me, and I have to find the avenues makes me feel a little isolated. There is the support and excitement once you have embarked on something, but not really before you start. Sometimes it feels a little isolating.

I would be interested in hearing about what you are going to do your Masters on......a professional discussion at some stage would be fabulous.

Darce said...

Hey Widget - would love to catch up. Been reading your blog and hope you are going well at the moment. I think this year is the start of a new journey for me. I am hungry for something new and the opportunity to try to answer some of my own questions and try to really work out what it is that I want to contribute. Some big ideas and I think getting back in to uni is the first step. I think teaching is one of those tough professions where we never really think we are good enough and no matter how hard we work to try to do the best for the students that we can, we could always be doing more. Hard to walk away at the end of the day and feel like you have really made a contribution when all you can see is what more you could be doing. I think that's a whole other blog though. Feel free to email if you want a chat.