Monday, November 01, 2004

So young but so old!

This year really seems to have flown and I guess it is because it is a year of firsts for me; first teaching position, first classes, moving out of home. Already it is time to say goodbye to one of my first classes, my Year 11s. I think because the year 11s are my only senior class I have become closer to them in a lot of ways than I have with my Year 7s and 8s, and it sounds a bit sad, but I will actually miss them.
Sitting watching the Year 12's final assembly a couple of weeks ago made me think about what I will be like when my first lot of Year 7's from this year are finishing school. I will feel so old and yet I will only be 28! I think I will be sad enough when it is my Year 11s from this year leaving next year, and I only had one year of teaching them!
The upside to the year 11s leaving so early is that I will only have 3 classes once they are gone, which is quite exciting. It will allow me to start planning and organising myself for next year. I really want to be a lot more organised next year than I was this year. I guess I know the things that I think worked and those that didn't and so I will be using the next few weeks to try and rework my units of work so that I am happy with the outcome and so that the job is getting done.
Although, really, with teaching, what works with one class doesn't necessarily work with another so it will be interesting to see what my classes are like next year.
Well I guess that one ending (with my year 11s) will lead me to next years new beginning.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You've got me thinking. You say when your Y11s finish you'll have three classes (7, 8 and something else - I also remember that you have a special needs thing as well - is that right?) How many periods, on average, do you teach a week? Or what is the average at your school? Just wondering.

Ending and beginnings? Have you read Eliot's 'Four Quartets'? Love that thing