Sunday, March 20, 2005

Perhaps I have been too harsh?

I have been thinking since the last time I blogged that perhaps I have been whingeing just a little too much about history and how difficult it is to work with someone who is very different to you. I guess that part of the reason that I complain about it so much and that it effects me so much is because of the fact that I feel like I don't know as much as I should. I feel like I should be the expert, and for this year I won't be, I am just learning as I go too. But that makes things hard. Because I don't feel that the other teacher I am working with is 100% up on the new course outline, I feel uncertain about everything, and this compounds the problems that I have with working with said person. I feel like I have to be totally up with everything so that I can keep her on the 'straight-and-narrow' when she should be acting as a mentor to me, teaching me how she does things and what she knows. Unfortunately that is not the way that the relationship works at all, which makes it harder for me because I have to go elsewhere to get my advice. Networking is a wonderful thing though!
I also have spent more time with said history teacher and have found out that really she is as unsure of things at school as I am about things with History. She worries about whether or not she will have a job next year, and is trying to adjust to a very different expectation and work ethic at this school compared to what she was used to last year. All of these things mean that I really need to be more understanding and less judgemental so that is my aim for now.

Enough about that. Getting very excited! I have only 2 classes left with my Year 12's, 3 with my Year 7s and a similar number with my year 11's before the end of the term! With easter this next weekend, school finishes on Wednesday for the students and Thursday for us, with a lovely long weekend ahead of me of sailing, knee-boarding and fun in the sun. Then I get home from the easter weekend away on Monday night, only to leave at 6.30 the next morning for a 2 week year 10 central australia trip! Can't wait, but I have so much to do between now and then, including getting my packing done. I have just organised my holiday homework for the 7s and 12s and I am a bit excited about having a holiday (well two actually!) It should be great fun!
Anyway I am not really talking about anything exciting at the moment so I will go and get ready for my Sunday history lecture at melb uni! Yay!

2 comments:

Scott said...

We all have colleagues that are difficult to work with for whatever reason - it's good to remember that the reasons for human behaviour are always more complex that we first imagine. Thanks for reminding me of this! You raise the issue of job security - something which I never really understood as a big issue - but one I'm becoming more aware of ...

M said...

Have a great time away...make sure to blog when those Year 10s are driving you crazy on the 18th bus trip for the week. Happy Easter too. Love your work :)
M x