Saturday, June 28, 2008

An Acknowledgement

I've been thinking a fair bit lately about what makes a good leader and the qualities that I admire in the leaders around me and this has prompted me to think about my relationship with the person at school who most closely leads me. I think the beauty of his leadership style is that I never feel like I am being told what to do - I feel like I am part of his team and that we work side by side to get work done. He includes me in the decisions being made and values my opinion and input in the projects he is working on. I am able to vent to him, question him, trust him, work with him as well as for him and he makes me feel like what I am doing has a purpose and is important to what is going on within the school in terms of the bigger picture.
At the moment I am excited about school and about the possibilities. At my school it seems like things are always happening and it is his inclusion of me in the new and exciting happenings around school that reaffirms to me that this is the place that I want to be and that all the challenge and innovation I need is right here in the place where I already work.
At the moment I'm just trying to do my bit. I'm trying to be as involved at work as possible and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the school. This seems to be a time of renewal. New principal, new direction and once again a new beginning. I hope that when the dust settles I am revitalised and ready for whatever comes my way.

No comments: