Wednesday, June 20, 2007

After weeks with no posting (okay make that months) I am now going to post several times in a couple of weeks! How inconsistent is that? It's good to be unpredictable I think. I have a lot on my mind at the moment and I feel like after 4 years of teaching this is the time to make some decisions. I am confused about what it is that I want to do. Actually I guess it is not so much that I am confused about what I want to do, it is more that I do not have any guarantees that I am heading in that direction. Everything is uncertain and it is difficult for me to work out what it is that I should do.

In my perfect world, I would like to be in a position where I was working on innovative curriculum design, ICT innovation in the classroom and designing buildings for 21st Century learning. This is where my interest lies. I have been lucky enough that I have been co-ordinating the BYTES program last year and this year and it has started really well. The next challenge with BYTES is to overhaul the modules to make them more integrated and less teacher-focussed. Aside from the new focus in BYTES, I feel that I am ready for a new challenge. The school has been investing in me in terms of PD, the trip to NZ and has been involving me in the projects and building designs and curriculum designs for the other year levels that we are currently working on. This is the stuff that I am really enjoying at school at the moment. I would love for this to be my entire focus and to be able to research, go to PD and visit schools to allow my contribution to school to be one based on information and knowledge to avoid the last-minute-lets-slap-something-together attitude that becomes all too prevalent because schools are time-poor.
I enjoy teaching, but I wouldn't mind if my job involved purely administration and curriculum design rather than teaching because that is where my passion is. I also wouldnt mind doing consultant sort of work, or working for the department if something came up that was suitable. I guess that for me being challenged is important, and always learning. I love to learn about new things and increase my knowledge and I guess that is why I keep thinking about going back to uni all the time - because I really like learning and challenging myself. If I could find a position like that it would be great.
Although I love where I'm working, and I think I lead a pretty semi-charmed life there, I think that my new challenge is going to have to come from outside this school, in another school, because it seems there are no guarantees at all when it comes to promotion and leadership positions at my current school, and as much as it is tempting, I cant hang around waiting for a position that may never eventuate.
So I was thinking of going back to uni to do honours or masters to research in that area but I would still want to be working full time so I'm not sure if I want to take on such a committment. I feel like at school at the moment I have so much to offer and so much that I want to achieve, but I do not have a defined role that allows me the time and the chance to do these things. It seems like the school's leadership structure does not really complement the way the school is moving and growing and there are lots of areas that are not being covered that are desperately in need of some focussed attention. So that is where I am at I guess. Looking around for opportunities that will allow me to follow my passion and hopefully are also a little closer to where i am living in Ferntree Gully at the moment too. I will keep you posted!

No comments: