Saturday, October 04, 2008

Reflection on the Women in Leadership course

Many times I have been meaning to sit down and actually reflect on this course as a whole and what it has given me, but I haven't made the time, until now. This year I made a decision to PD myself crazy. I wanted to improve my skills and capabilities in leadership in particular because this is an area that I am increasingly moving into, and I think that I still have a lot to learn about people management and creating a team environment. So I found this three day, women in Leadership course and got involved. The beauty of this course was that we did two days, then were sent off with homework and reflection time, as well as two-like-minded mentors/peers to keep us on track. Here is what I gained:
  • Two new friendships and many more new contacts
  • A knowledge of how to deal with the teams you work with and how to manage difficult situations
  • Practical activities and procedures for implementing change/promoting teamwork and creating a group vision
  • A better understanding of what I value in the leaders around me and the type of leader I want to be
  • A Vision of Leadership

Here is how I have implemented the knowledge so far:

  • Used a Y chart and some negotiating skills with my Year 11 class to get them all on the same page and better control their behaviour.
  • Began working with the BYTES team using the same methods to get them on the same page before we move forward with planning for next year.
  • Helped the school rewrite its vision and values statement and come up with core values
  • Reached out to form better relationships with managment and peers in the workplace.
  • Taken time to really listen to everyone that comes to my door.
  • Been proactive in seeking out advice about my position for next year.
  • Rethought my priorities and motivations.

Here is what I am hoping to achieve by the end of the year:

  • A cohesive BYTES team with a vision for the future and a strategy to get there
  • A survivor team (the Year 8 program)
  • New curriculum ideas and initiatives for BYTES and Survivor
  • A better leadership structure within the programs under my charge
  • A large role in the Year 7 redevelopment
  • A role in the leadership of change in our school

I think that the leadership course really gave me the foundations to start moving forward with my positions at school. I think it is one of the most valuable forms of professional development that I have done so far in my career but I think there is still so much work to be done.

No comments: